SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico – The student strike at the University of Puerto Rico which began on April 21st, 57 days ago, may soon come to an end. The student negotiating committee, CNN, has reached an agreement with the UPR administration and will be relaying the agreement to the student body for a final vote. The students have 5 days to give a response. Demands won:
1. There will not be any special fee, nor an increase in tuition in August.
2. There will be no charges filed against students.
3. Certification 98 will be amended, allowing that the student recipient of the scholarship can be recognized for his/her academic excellence or talent.
4. They compromise not to use the APP in the UPR system.
More on the UPR Strike:
- 11.April – Occupation Announced
- 12.April – Occupation Attacked
- 21.April – UPR Strike Begins
- 23.April – More UPR Campuses Join Strike
- 25.April – Strike Continues (photos)
- 27.April – UPR Strike Analysis – Yeast and the Oven
- 3.May – UPR Strike Enters 13th day
- 15.May – Police Surround UPR
- 15.May – UPR undersiege
- 20.May – UPR Strike Analysis – Vietnam & Disney
- 20.May – UPR-RP Riot
- 24.May – UPRM announced indefinite strike
- 25.May – UPR-Carolina Interview – Day 35
- 27.May – Photos from UPR, RP March
- 3.June – Message from Negotiating Committee
- 3.June – Students Reinforce Barricades at UPR-RP
- 8.June – UPR Eviction Deadline!
- 13.June – UPR-RP symbolic graduation
- 16.June – UPR-RP students occupy and transform building